Read your favorite news, except the excluded topics, by you.
Register
No overlapping ads for registered users
sion and lebanese republic feature in agreement(p) to poke out their ceasefire by three weeks after talks at the White House on Thursday, according to U.S. President Donald Trump.
In a post on his social media site, Trump said the meeting between the Israeli and Lebanese ambassadors to the United States went "very well."
"The United States is going to work with Lebanon in order to help it protect itself from Hezbollah," Trump wrote. He added that he is looking forward to meeting in person with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Lebanese President Joseph Aoun "in the near future."
The initial 10-day ceasefire, which took effect last Friday, had been due to expire on Monday.
Trump greeted Lebanese Ambassador to the U.S. Nada Hamadeh Moawad and her Israeli counterpart, Yechiel Leiter, on their arrival.
In addition to Trump, the U.S. Was represented by U.S. Vice-President JD Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, State Department Counsellor Michael Needham, Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee and Ambassador to Lebanon Michel Issa.
"We hope that together, under your leadership, we can formalize peace between Israel and Lebanon in the very near future," Leiter said in the Oval Office.
"I want to really say thank you to the United States, under your leadership, for all your effort to help and to support Lebanon," Hamadeh told Trump. "And I think with your help, with your support, we can make Lebanon great."
Aoun said Wednesday that Hamadeh would put forward an extension of the 10-day ceasefire. He also said she would ask for an end to Israeli home demolitions in villages and towns occupied by Israel after the latest war broke out on March 2, according to comments released by his office.
When the IDF hit the ambulances, the paramedics were recording
Preparations are being made for wider-reaching negotiations between Lebanon and Israel. The aim of the future talks is to "fully" stop Israeli attacks, secure the withdrawal of Israeli troops from Lebanon, win the release of Lebanese prisoners held in Israel, deploy Lebanese troops along the border and begin the reconstruction process, Aoun said.
Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar has called on Lebanon to work with Israel to disarm the Iranian-backed militant group Hezbollah.
"We don't have any serious disagreements with Lebanon. There are a few minor border disputes that can be solved," Saar said in Independence Day remarks to Israel's ambassadors and diplomatic corps, in which he also described the neighbouring country as a "failed state."
"The obstacle to peace and normalization between the countries is one: Hezbollah," he said. He added that Lebanon could have "a future of sovereignty, independence and freedom from the Iranian occupation."
Canada summoned Israeli ambassador, requested investigation into killing of Canadian in Lebanon
The latest war started when Hezbollah fired rockets into northern Israel, two days after Israel and the U.S. Launched attacks on Iran. Israel responded with widespread bombardment of Lebanon and a ground invasion in which it captured dozens of towns and villages along the border.
Israel's military currently occupies a buffer zone stretching as much as 10 kilometres into southern Lebanon. Israel says it aims to remove the threat of short-range rockets and anti-tank missiles being fired toward northern Israel.
Hezbollah has rejected the talks. Wafiq Safa, a high-ranking member of the militant group's political council, told The Associated Press that it will not abide by any agreements reached during the direct talks.
Despite this, the talks are a major step for two countries with no diplomatic relations that officially have been at war since Israel's inception in 1948.
Since the ceasefire took effect last week, there have been multiple violations by both side sides.
On Wednesday, Amal Khalil, a well-known Lebanese journalist covering southern Lebanon, was killed in an Israeli strike. Lebanese health officials said the Israeli military opened fire on an ambulance that responded to the scene, preventing rescuers from reaching her. Her body was pulled from the rubble of a collapsed building several hours later.
The Israeli military denied deliberately targeting journalists or firing on rescuers, but the case sparked widespread anger in Lebanon ahead of the Washington talks.
After a Cabinet meeting Thursday, Lebanon's Deputy Prime Minister Tarek Mitri said the government is working on a report documenting alleged war crimes by Israel and that ministers had discussed joining the International Criminal Court.
The latest Israel-Hezbollah war has killed around 2,300 people in Lebanon, including hundreds of women and children, and displaced more than one million people.
Last week's talks were the first between Israel and Lebanon since 1993. Both countries have relied on indirect communication, often brokered by the U.S. Or UNIFIL, the United Nations peacekeeping mission in southern Lebanon.
Lebanon's top political authorities, critical of Hezbollah's decision to fire rockets toward Israel on March 2 in solidarity with Iran, quickly proposed direct talks in a bid to stop the escalation, hoping Israel would not launch its ground invasion.
In today's interconnected world, staying informed about global events is more important than ever. ZisNews provides news coverage from multiple countries, allowing you to compare how different regions report on the same stories. This unique approach helps you gain a broader and more balanced understanding of international affairs. Whether it's politics, business, technology, or cultural trends, ZisNews ensures that you get a well-rounded perspective rather than a one-sided view. Expand your knowledge and see how global narratives unfold from different angles.
At ZisNews, we understand that not every news story interests everyone. That's why we offer a customizable news feed, allowing you to control what you see. By adding keywords, you can filter out unwanted news, blocking articles that contain specific words in their titles or descriptions. This feature enables you to create a personalized experience where you only receive content that aligns with your interests. Register today to take full advantage of this functionality and enjoy a distraction-free news feed.
Stay engaged with the news by interacting with stories that matter to you. Like or dislike articles based on your opinion, and share your thoughts in the comments section. Join discussions, see what others are saying, and be a part of an informed community that values meaningful conversations.
For a seamless news experience, download the ZisNews Android app. Get instant notifications based on your selected categories and stay updated on breaking news. The app also allows you to block unwanted news, ensuring that you only receive content that aligns with your preferences. Stay connected anytime, anywhere.
With ZisNews, you can explore a wide range of topics, ensuring that you never miss important developments. From Technology and Science to Sports, Politics, and Entertainment, we bring you the latest updates from the world's most trusted sources. Whether you are interested in groundbreaking scientific discoveries, tech innovations, or major sports events, our platform keeps you updated in real-time. Our carefully curated news selection helps you stay ahead, providing accurate and relevant stories tailored to diverse interests.
No comments yet.