Welcome to ZisNews!

Read your favorite news, except the excluded topics, by you. Register
No overlapping ads for registered users

Cuba braces for possible U.S. military action as uncertainty follows Castro indictment

Posted on: May 21, 2026 13:30 IST | Posted by: Cbc
Cuba braces for possible U.S. military action as uncertainty follows Castro indictment

Former Cuban chairman Raúl fidel castro testament be "keeping his head up land," experts say, as questions swirl over whether the U.S. Will take him by force and bring him to American soil to face charges over an incident from three decades ago.

Federal prosecutors announced criminal charges against Castro Wednesday in the 1996 downing of two small planes flown by Miami-based exile group Brothers to the Rescue. Castro, who turns 95 next month, was Cuba's defence minister at the time.

Acting U.S. Attorney General Todd Blanche said Castro was indicted so he could be brought to the U.S. To "face justice" in front of a jury, though he didn't offer details on how that might happen. 

"We expect that he will show up here, by his own will or by another way," Blanche said.

The charges, which were secretly filed by a grand jury in April, included murder and destruction of an airplane. Five Cuban military pilots were also charged.

The indictment has evoked the January capture of then-Venezuelan president Nicolás Maduro — a military operation during which the U.S. Killed dozens of military and security personnel.

U.S. Indicts former Cuban president, charged with murder

Peter Kornbluh, Cuba specialist with the U.S. National Security Archive at George Washington University, says Cuba will take the indictment as an "extreme warning," calling the move a "quantum step" toward military aggression.

"I think we're living in a very grim moment in which the dark cloud of possible U.S. Acts of war against Cuba are coming."

U.S. President Donald Trump has been threatening military action in Cuba ever since U.S. Forces captured Maduro, the Cuban government's longtime ally.

After ousting the Venezuelan leader, the White House ordered a blockade that choked off fuel shipments to Cuba, leading to severe blackouts, food shortages and an economic collapse across the island. 

Since Maduro's capture, Trump has ratcheted up talk of regime change in Cuba after pledging earlier this year to conduct a "friendly takeover" of the country if its leadership did not open its economy to American investment and kick out U.S. Adversaries. 

On Wednesday, he brushed off a question from reporters about whether he'd launch an operation to extricate Castro like he did with Maduro. 

"I don't wanna say that," he said.

When asked if he'd take further steps to up the pressure on the Cuban regime, Trump said there "won't be escalation."

"I don't think there needs to be. Look, the place is falling apart. It's a mess," he said.

U.S. Snatch raid in Cuba 'not out of the question' following Castro indictment: analyst

But Kornbluh said even after months of the Trump administration "turning the screws of economic warfare against Cuba," the Cuban leadership won't just turn Castro over, and the former leader likely won't surrender either.

"As any self-respecting country would do, [Cuba] has resisted the dictates from the United States to change its government. And that is why you have increasingly witnessed signals that the United States is moving towards a military solution rather than just economic pressure," he said.

Guy Lewis, who was the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida when the 1996 shoot-down happened, says he was "very pleased" to see the indictment after the federal government worked for years to nail down the charges against Castro.

He said military action against Cuba is "a reasonable possibility."

Trump's first administration indicted Maduro on drug-trafficking charges and used that to justify removing him from power and whisking him and his wife, Cilia Flores, to New York to face trial.

Maduro has been charged in federal court in Manhattan ‌with narcoterrorism conspiracy  and other offences tied to alleged drug trafficking. He has pleaded not guilty and is still being held in a Brooklyn jail with no trial date.

On Tuesday, Reuters reported that government sources said the U.S. Is pursuing a second criminal investigation into Maduro that has been ongoing for months.

Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel pushed back on Wednesday, saying in a post on X that the Castro indictment "only reveals the arrogance and frustration that the representatives of the empire feel toward the unyielding resolve of the Cuban Revolution and the unity and moral strength of its leadership."

He called the move "a political maneuver, devoid of any legal foundation," with the intent of justifying military aggression against Cuba.

Cubans in Havana reject Castro indictment by U.S.: 'It makes no sense'

In Havana, residents who spoke with Agence France-Presse were defiant and said the charges "make no sense."

"They [the U.S.] are not going to come in here or do anything, because we'll be waiting for them," said Rene Sierra, a 64-year-old construction worker. "We are not Venezuela. Here, everyone knows how to shoot, from children to adults. Let them come — we'll destroy everything."

Digital Writer

Global News Perspectives

In today's interconnected world, staying informed about global events is more important than ever. ZisNews provides news coverage from multiple countries, allowing you to compare how different regions report on the same stories. This unique approach helps you gain a broader and more balanced understanding of international affairs. Whether it's politics, business, technology, or cultural trends, ZisNews ensures that you get a well-rounded perspective rather than a one-sided view. Expand your knowledge and see how global narratives unfold from different angles.

Customizable News Feed

At ZisNews, we understand that not every news story interests everyone. That's why we offer a customizable news feed, allowing you to control what you see. By adding keywords, you can filter out unwanted news, blocking articles that contain specific words in their titles or descriptions. This feature enables you to create a personalized experience where you only receive content that aligns with your interests. Register today to take full advantage of this functionality and enjoy a distraction-free news feed.

Like or Comment on News

Stay engaged with the news by interacting with stories that matter to you. Like or dislike articles based on your opinion, and share your thoughts in the comments section. Join discussions, see what others are saying, and be a part of an informed community that values meaningful conversations.

Download the Android App

For a seamless news experience, download the ZisNews Android app. Get instant notifications based on your selected categories and stay updated on breaking news. The app also allows you to block unwanted news, ensuring that you only receive content that aligns with your preferences. Stay connected anytime, anywhere.

Diverse News Categories

With ZisNews, you can explore a wide range of topics, ensuring that you never miss important developments. From Technology and Science to Sports, Politics, and Entertainment, we bring you the latest updates from the world's most trusted sources. Whether you are interested in groundbreaking scientific discoveries, tech innovations, or major sports events, our platform keeps you updated in real-time. Our carefully curated news selection helps you stay ahead, providing accurate and relevant stories tailored to diverse interests.

Login to Like (0) Login to Dislike (0)

Login to comment.

No comments yet.