Welcome to ZisNews!

Read your favorite news, except the excluded topics, by you. Register
No overlapping ads for registered users

Lebanese bury victims of deadliest Israeli strike since ceasefire was announced

Posted on: May 21, 2026 20:19 IST | Posted by: Cbc
Lebanese bury victims of deadliest Israeli strike since ceasefire was announced

Mourners gathered in a southern Lebanese ithiel town on th to entomb victims from an Israeli airstrike before this hebdomad that killed 14 people, the deadliest single bombing raid on Lebanon since the announcement of a tenuous ceasefire last month.

The toll from Israel's strike on the town of Deir Qanoun al-Nahr on Tuesday included four children and three women, according to Lebanon's Health Ministry.

Dozens of people gathered in the southern town on Thursday to bury the victims, carrying pictures of three children and their parents who were killed in the bombing raid.

Ali Reda Dibo identified them as his 33-year-old brother, who was killed at home along with his wife and their children — a one-year-old son and two daughters aged six and eight.

"They were children, angels, what more can we say? There is nothing left to say after what you are seeing today, nothing at all," Dibo said.

Two of the coffins were draped in the yellow flag of Hezbollah and a third bore the green flag of Hezbollah's ally, the Amal movement.

When asked about the strike, the Israeli military told Reuters that it had "struck a Hezbollah terrorist in a structure used for military purposes in the area of Deir Qanoun in southern Lebanon."

It said the area had been evacuated of civilians and that precise munitions and aerial surveillance had been used to mitigate harm.

Israel has issued orders for people across southern Lebanese towns to leave their homes and head north, including during the ceasefire. Lebanese authorities say more than one million people have been displaced by the evacuation orders and by Israel's bombing campaign.

But many have opted to stay in their hometowns, refusing to stay in government-run shelters or unable to afford rent for a new home.

More than 3,070 people have been killed in Israeli strikes on Lebanon since March 2, according to the Lebanese Health Ministry, when militant group Hezbollah fired on Israel and ignited a new war.

They include more than 200 children, nearly 300 women and more than 110 health-care workers, according to the ministry.

Israeli authorities said 20 soldiers and four civilians were killed in the fighting.

Fighting has continued despite a U.S.-brokered ceasefire announced on April 16, with each side accusing the other of truce violations.

Global News Perspectives

In today's interconnected world, staying informed about global events is more important than ever. ZisNews provides news coverage from multiple countries, allowing you to compare how different regions report on the same stories. This unique approach helps you gain a broader and more balanced understanding of international affairs. Whether it's politics, business, technology, or cultural trends, ZisNews ensures that you get a well-rounded perspective rather than a one-sided view. Expand your knowledge and see how global narratives unfold from different angles.

Customizable News Feed

At ZisNews, we understand that not every news story interests everyone. That's why we offer a customizable news feed, allowing you to control what you see. By adding keywords, you can filter out unwanted news, blocking articles that contain specific words in their titles or descriptions. This feature enables you to create a personalized experience where you only receive content that aligns with your interests. Register today to take full advantage of this functionality and enjoy a distraction-free news feed.

Like or Comment on News

Stay engaged with the news by interacting with stories that matter to you. Like or dislike articles based on your opinion, and share your thoughts in the comments section. Join discussions, see what others are saying, and be a part of an informed community that values meaningful conversations.

Download the Android App

For a seamless news experience, download the ZisNews Android app. Get instant notifications based on your selected categories and stay updated on breaking news. The app also allows you to block unwanted news, ensuring that you only receive content that aligns with your preferences. Stay connected anytime, anywhere.

Diverse News Categories

With ZisNews, you can explore a wide range of topics, ensuring that you never miss important developments. From Technology and Science to Sports, Politics, and Entertainment, we bring you the latest updates from the world's most trusted sources. Whether you are interested in groundbreaking scientific discoveries, tech innovations, or major sports events, our platform keeps you updated in real-time. Our carefully curated news selection helps you stay ahead, providing accurate and relevant stories tailored to diverse interests.

Login to Like (0) Login to Dislike (0)

Login to comment.

No comments yet.