Read your favorite news, except the excluded topics, by you.
Register
No overlapping ads for registered users
Ontario premiere Doug john ford says a decision by an Ontario Superior Court justice that prevents the Region of Waterloo from clearing the encampment at 100 Victoria St. N., in Kitchener is "the most ridiculous ruling I've ever seen."
Ford was asked about the decision while in Sault Ste. Marie for a steel production funding announcement Friday just after noon.
Ford slams Kitchener court ruling as 'ridiculous'
Ford said he had talked to regional Chair Karen Redman and other local mayors Thursday night after the decision was released.
"Don't get me wrong, I have a great deal of respect for our judges … but he comes out with this cockamamie idea that they're going to hold up … transit, for what, 30 people? They're going to hold up millions and millions of riders, communities and everything saying you can't go in there, you can't touch them," Ford said.
"I wish I could get that guy's address, I'll send 15 encampments in his backyard and see how he likes it. The craziest decision I've ever heard. But there are a lot of crazy decisions coming from our courts lately," Ford said.
Tents at the Kitchener encampment first went up in late 2021. The number of people living at the site has changed depending on the time of year, with more people there during the warmer months.
The region previously tried to clear people from living on the site in 2022. In January 2023, a Kitchener judge ruled the region couldn't evict people from the site unless they gave them another place to live.
The region has argued it needs the property in June for Metrolinx construction crews, who will raise train tracks in the area ahead of the region building a new transit hub at King and Victoria streets.
In 2024, some mayors asked Ford to use the notwithstanding clause to clear homeless encampments.
In June 2025, the Ontario government passed the Safer Municipalities Act with a goal of making parks and public spaces safer. At the same time, the province announced an investment of $75.5 million for homelessness prevention and to provide people living in encampments with access to "reasonable alternative accommodation."
'A good feeling': Kitchener encampment residents react after court rules they can stay
Region of Waterloo councillors passed a site-specific bylaw for the encampment site near the Kitchener train station in April 2025 and updated it this past January. It aimed to move people off the encampment site by April 1 of this year.
But on Thursday, Gibson's judgement said the region cannot clear the encampment unless the region can house everyone who is homeless or creates a tenting protocol that would allow people to put up tents on some regional properties.
"The discussion reinforced the importance of co-ordinated support and shared solutions across all levels of government," the region said.
"The region is reviewing the decision carefully and will continue working with provincial and municipal partners on next steps that are compassionate, practical and legally compliant."
In today's interconnected world, staying informed about global events is more important than ever. ZisNews provides news coverage from multiple countries, allowing you to compare how different regions report on the same stories. This unique approach helps you gain a broader and more balanced understanding of international affairs. Whether it's politics, business, technology, or cultural trends, ZisNews ensures that you get a well-rounded perspective rather than a one-sided view. Expand your knowledge and see how global narratives unfold from different angles.
At ZisNews, we understand that not every news story interests everyone. That's why we offer a customizable news feed, allowing you to control what you see. By adding keywords, you can filter out unwanted news, blocking articles that contain specific words in their titles or descriptions. This feature enables you to create a personalized experience where you only receive content that aligns with your interests. Register today to take full advantage of this functionality and enjoy a distraction-free news feed.
Stay engaged with the news by interacting with stories that matter to you. Like or dislike articles based on your opinion, and share your thoughts in the comments section. Join discussions, see what others are saying, and be a part of an informed community that values meaningful conversations.
For a seamless news experience, download the ZisNews Android app. Get instant notifications based on your selected categories and stay updated on breaking news. The app also allows you to block unwanted news, ensuring that you only receive content that aligns with your preferences. Stay connected anytime, anywhere.
With ZisNews, you can explore a wide range of topics, ensuring that you never miss important developments. From Technology and Science to Sports, Politics, and Entertainment, we bring you the latest updates from the world's most trusted sources. Whether you are interested in groundbreaking scientific discoveries, tech innovations, or major sports events, our platform keeps you updated in real-time. Our carefully curated news selection helps you stay ahead, providing accurate and relevant stories tailored to diverse interests.
No comments yet.