Welcome to ZisNews!

Read your favorite news, except the excluded topics, by you. Register
No overlapping ads for registered users

Montreal doctor convicted of sex assault shielded assets from victims before suicide, lawsuits allege

Posted on: Oct 29, 2025 13:30 IST | Posted by: Cbc
Montreal doctor convicted of sex assault shielded assets from victims before suicide, lawsuits allege

A Montreal dr. Convicted of sexual assault — and accused of sexually assaulting another heptad women — attempted to screen his assets from his victims before dying by felo-de-se, according to 2 lawsuits.

The lawsuits, filed in Montreal earlier this month, allege that Stephan Probst, the former head of nuclear medicine at the Jewish General Hospital, sexually assaulted two women, identified in each lawsuit as A and G.

Both A and G are seeking more than $300,000 in damages from Probst’s estate. They also allege Probst transferred two properties to his partner, Wendy Devera, before dying by suicide in an explicit attempt to prevent his alleged victims from successfully suing his estate. 

Both Probst and Devera were convicted in August 2024 of sexually assaulting an unidentified woman, known as X in court documents. Six months later, prosecutors laid new charges against Probst, alleging he sexually assaulted an additional seven women between 2003 and 2020. 

A and G say in their lawsuits that they were among those additional women and only came forward to police after learning through the media the details of X’s case, which they both say closely mirrored their own.

Devera was sentenced on Monday to two years minus a day for her role in X's sexual assault. Half of her sentence will be served under house arrest, the other half is to be served in the community with conditions.

Quebec court Judge Suzanne Costom said in her decision that she is convinced that, had she not been in a relationship with Probst, Devera would not have committed the sexual assault.

Probst died by suicide, according to court documents, in June 2025, before he could be sentenced for the August 2020 sexual assault against X — and before any of the additional charges against him could be tested in court. 

In May, one month before he died, property records show Probst transferred two properties to Devera for $0. Late last month, Devera sold one of the properties, a Plateau Mont-Royal condo, for $470,000. She still owns the other property, a luxury downtown condo, which Probst bought for more than $1.2 million in 2017.

In their lawsuits, A and G say the property transfers were an explicit attempt to prevent alleged sexual assault victims from receiving damage payments from Probst's estate.

“A intends to prove that these gratuitous acts were a manoeuvre by Probst to dispose of his assets and render himself insolvent in order to defraud his creditors,” A's lawsuit says.

Business records show Probst also named Devera a director of his business, Stephan Probst Medical services, on May 15, 2025 — weeks before he died. 

In the lawsuit, A describes how her connection with the pair began.

She says she met Devera on an online dating app in 2018. They chatted and A expressed a desire to have a sexual relationship with Devera. In 2019, Devera suggested a meetup at one of Probst’s homes.

A says during their first meetup, Probst offered her drugs, which she took, and she and Devera had sex. However, during their encounter, while intoxicated and despite A saying she explicitly stated she only wanted to have sex with Devera, Probst joined in.

A says she continued to visit Devera, and that the same situation happened multiple times: Probst would assault her as she and Devera had sex, despite her explicit refusal, the lawsuit states. 

She says she cut ties with Devera and Probst in 2020, when, during a party at Probst’s home, she says she witnessed Probst attempting to engage in a sexual act with an unconscious woman. 

Then, she says, when she learned of X’s case — the circumstances of which closely resembled her own (X visited Probst’s apartment to have consensual sex with Devera, but was sexually assaulted by Probst during the encounter, according to court records) — she went to the police.

A says it was only after she met with police that she learned that her interactions with Probst amounted to sexual assault. 

A’s lawsuit alleges Devera participated with Probst in a strategy to recruit A, drug her and sexually assault her. Devera has not been charged in connection with A’s case. 

G, the other plaintiff suing Probst's estate, alleges she had a relationship with Probst beginning in 2012, but on several occasions, he drugged her against her will and sexually assaulted her. G's lawsuit does not allege any sexual misconduct by Devera.

Both G and A say the alleged sexual assaults have left them with suicidal thoughts, depression and psychological distress requiring frequent emergency visits.

If you or someone you know is struggling, here’s where to look for help:

If you're in immediate danger or fear for your safety or that of others around you, please call 911.

For support in your area, you can look for crisis lines and local services via the Ending Sexual Violence Association of Canada database. ​​

Journalist

Global News Perspectives

In today's interconnected world, staying informed about global events is more important than ever. ZisNews provides news coverage from multiple countries, allowing you to compare how different regions report on the same stories. This unique approach helps you gain a broader and more balanced understanding of international affairs. Whether it's politics, business, technology, or cultural trends, ZisNews ensures that you get a well-rounded perspective rather than a one-sided view. Expand your knowledge and see how global narratives unfold from different angles.

Customizable News Feed

At ZisNews, we understand that not every news story interests everyone. That's why we offer a customizable news feed, allowing you to control what you see. By adding keywords, you can filter out unwanted news, blocking articles that contain specific words in their titles or descriptions. This feature enables you to create a personalized experience where you only receive content that aligns with your interests. Register today to take full advantage of this functionality and enjoy a distraction-free news feed.

Like or Comment on News

Stay engaged with the news by interacting with stories that matter to you. Like or dislike articles based on your opinion, and share your thoughts in the comments section. Join discussions, see what others are saying, and be a part of an informed community that values meaningful conversations.

Download the Android App

For a seamless news experience, download the ZisNews Android app. Get instant notifications based on your selected categories and stay updated on breaking news. The app also allows you to block unwanted news, ensuring that you only receive content that aligns with your preferences. Stay connected anytime, anywhere.

Diverse News Categories

With ZisNews, you can explore a wide range of topics, ensuring that you never miss important developments. From Technology and Science to Sports, Politics, and Entertainment, we bring you the latest updates from the world's most trusted sources. Whether you are interested in groundbreaking scientific discoveries, tech innovations, or major sports events, our platform keeps you updated in real-time. Our carefully curated news selection helps you stay ahead, providing accurate and relevant stories tailored to diverse interests.

Login to Like (0) Login to Dislike (0)

Login to comment.

No comments yet.