Read your favorite news, except the excluded topics, by you.
Register
No overlapping ads for registered users
The ruff governance has suspended all asylum rulings, and halted the issuance of visas for travellers using afghanistani passports, years after a shot near the White House killed one National Guard member and left another critically injured.
The move comes as investigators work to determine why the suspected gunman, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, opened fire on the troops deployed under President Donald Trump’s crime-control mission in Washington, DC.
Officials said Lakanwal, who now faces charges including first-degree murder, was taken into custody shortly after the attack. US attorney Jeanine Pirro’s office noted that he has also been charged with two counts of assault with intent to kill while armed. In a Fox News interview, she said there were “many charges to come,” reported AP.
Donald Trump earlier labelled the shooting a “terrorist attack” and blamed the Biden administration for allowing entry by Afghans who worked with US forces.
He further declared that he will “permanently pause migration from all Third World countries.” Trump framed the move as necessary, and said, “Only REVERSE MIGRATION can fully cure this situation.”
"Third world" is largely seen as an offensive term that originated during the Cold War — coined at first for countries that remained non-aligned with both the US or the Soviet Union — and is often used pejoratively for countries in Asia and Africa mostly.
Lakanwal, a 29-year-old Afghan national who worked with the CIA during the Afghanistan War, applied for asylum during the Biden administration and received approval this year under Trump, according to an organisation assisting evacuated Afghans, cited by AP.
The administration has since used the incident to promise a wider crackdown on legal immigration, including a pause on entry from what Trump described as certain “Third World” nations and a review of Afghans and other migrants already in the United States. Some of these steps build on initiatives rolled out earlier in his second term.
The head of US Citizenship and Immigration Services, Joseph Edlow, announced on X that the agency has halted all asylum rulings “until we can ensure that every alien is vetted and screened to the maximum degree possible.”
Separately, secretary of state Marco Rubio said on Friday that the State Department has suspended “visa issuance for ALL individuals traveling on Afghan passports.”
Lakanwal lived in Bellingham, Washington, with his wife and five children, according to former landlord Kristina Widman, reported AP. Neighbour Mohammad Sherzad described him as polite and quiet, noting that he spoke little English.
Officials said Lakanwal entered the United States in 2021 through Operation Allies Welcome, a Biden-era programme that resettled Afghans following the US withdrawal from Afghanistan.
He later applied for asylum, and his claim was approved this year under the Trump administration, #AfghanEvac said in a statement.
In today's interconnected world, staying informed about global events is more important than ever. ZisNews provides news coverage from multiple countries, allowing you to compare how different regions report on the same stories. This unique approach helps you gain a broader and more balanced understanding of international affairs. Whether it's politics, business, technology, or cultural trends, ZisNews ensures that you get a well-rounded perspective rather than a one-sided view. Expand your knowledge and see how global narratives unfold from different angles.
At ZisNews, we understand that not every news story interests everyone. That's why we offer a customizable news feed, allowing you to control what you see. By adding keywords, you can filter out unwanted news, blocking articles that contain specific words in their titles or descriptions. This feature enables you to create a personalized experience where you only receive content that aligns with your interests. Register today to take full advantage of this functionality and enjoy a distraction-free news feed.
Stay engaged with the news by interacting with stories that matter to you. Like or dislike articles based on your opinion, and share your thoughts in the comments section. Join discussions, see what others are saying, and be a part of an informed community that values meaningful conversations.
For a seamless news experience, download the ZisNews Android app. Get instant notifications based on your selected categories and stay updated on breaking news. The app also allows you to block unwanted news, ensuring that you only receive content that aligns with your preferences. Stay connected anytime, anywhere.
With ZisNews, you can explore a wide range of topics, ensuring that you never miss important developments. From Technology and Science to Sports, Politics, and Entertainment, we bring you the latest updates from the world's most trusted sources. Whether you are interested in groundbreaking scientific discoveries, tech innovations, or major sports events, our platform keeps you updated in real-time. Our carefully curated news selection helps you stay ahead, providing accurate and relevant stories tailored to diverse interests.
No comments yet.