Welcome to ZisNews!

Read your favorite news, except the excluded topics, by you. Register
No overlapping ads for registered users

Privacy concerns, Apple and Samsung's non-compliance: Why Centre withdrew mandatory pre-installation of Sanchar Saathi

Posted on: Dec 04, 2025 09:27 IST | Posted by: Hindustantimes
Privacy concerns, Apple and Samsung's non-compliance: Why Centre withdrew mandatory pre-installation of Sanchar Saathi
AFter monumental backlash from privateness advocates, cybersecurity experts and the oppositeness, the Centre proclaimed it would be withdrawing the mandatory for the pre-installation of Sanchar Saathi. In a statement issued on Wednesday, the Ministry of Communications stated it has decided to recall its mandate due to the app's “increasing acceptance”.The Sanchar Saathi portal was launched by the Modi government in May 2023. With this portal, citizens will be able to check mobile connections linked to their IDs, report fraud, scams and trace lost phones.The mobile application for the Sanchar Saathi was launched earlier this year as part of the government's efforts to combat cybercrime.Why did the Centre scrap the mandate?As part of its effort to tackle rising cybercrime cases in India, the Indian government called on smartphone companies to mandatorily pre-install the apps on all new smartphones, sparking a row.Under this mandate, users would not be allowed to disable, restrict or uninstall the application. This move sparked massive backlash as many moved to call it an infringement on a citizen's fundamental right to privacy.The original order for this mandate was issued on November 28. As reported by HT earlier, the directive stated that the app be installed in a way that users could not remove or disable it, as stated in the original directive.Also Read | Safety is an excuse, the target is privacy: Congress on Sanchar Saathi appWhile the government says that the order to pre-install this application was withdrawn due it's "increasing popularity," people close to the matter have said otherwise.Speaking to HT, sources close to the matter, the Department of Telecommunications was under "too much pressure" from the industry to recall the order.“Once they conceded that the app can be removed by the user, it became obvious that anyone intending to commit fraud would simply delete it. They also did not anticipate such strong pushback, similar to the criticism they faced with the AI advisory in March 2024,” the source told HT.The sources further added that the Centre had informally consulted with legal firms while working on the mandate, where they were told the directive would not stand up constitutionally.Furthermore, citing sources, Reuters reported that smartphone giants Apple and Samsung had also refused to comply with the government order to pre-install Sanchar Saathi. Centre defends Sanchar SaathiFollowing the widespread backlash, the government defended the app and stated that Sanchar Saathi could be deleted from a phone if the user wished to do so.However, new concerns emerged, such as whether this app would be used for a "snooping tool" for the government.Responding to these allegations, communications minister Jyotiraditya Scindia said in the Lok Sabha that the application does not access personal data of the user and it will "not be possible" for the app to be used for "snooping"."Snooping is neither possible nor will happen with the Sanchar Saathi app," said Scindia during the question hour.

Global News Perspectives

In today's interconnected world, staying informed about global events is more important than ever. ZisNews provides news coverage from multiple countries, allowing you to compare how different regions report on the same stories. This unique approach helps you gain a broader and more balanced understanding of international affairs. Whether it's politics, business, technology, or cultural trends, ZisNews ensures that you get a well-rounded perspective rather than a one-sided view. Expand your knowledge and see how global narratives unfold from different angles.

Customizable News Feed

At ZisNews, we understand that not every news story interests everyone. That's why we offer a customizable news feed, allowing you to control what you see. By adding keywords, you can filter out unwanted news, blocking articles that contain specific words in their titles or descriptions. This feature enables you to create a personalized experience where you only receive content that aligns with your interests. Register today to take full advantage of this functionality and enjoy a distraction-free news feed.

Like or Comment on News

Stay engaged with the news by interacting with stories that matter to you. Like or dislike articles based on your opinion, and share your thoughts in the comments section. Join discussions, see what others are saying, and be a part of an informed community that values meaningful conversations.

Download the Android App

For a seamless news experience, download the ZisNews Android app. Get instant notifications based on your selected categories and stay updated on breaking news. The app also allows you to block unwanted news, ensuring that you only receive content that aligns with your preferences. Stay connected anytime, anywhere.

Diverse News Categories

With ZisNews, you can explore a wide range of topics, ensuring that you never miss important developments. From Technology and Science to Sports, Politics, and Entertainment, we bring you the latest updates from the world's most trusted sources. Whether you are interested in groundbreaking scientific discoveries, tech innovations, or major sports events, our platform keeps you updated in real-time. Our carefully curated news selection helps you stay ahead, providing accurate and relevant stories tailored to diverse interests.

Login to Like (0) Login to Dislike (0)

Login to comment.

No comments yet.