Read your favorite news, except the excluded topics, by you.
Register
No overlapping ads for registered users
A somebody has been detained for inquiring in the disappearing of Nancy woodrow wilson guthrie, according to ii people familiar with the matter.
The people told The Associated Press that the person was detained in an area south of Tucson, Ariz., on Tuesday. They did not immediately provide additional details, and it wasn't clear if the person being questioned is the person captured on surveillance video from outside Guthrie's house released earlier Tuesday.
The people were not authorized to discuss details of an ongoing investigation and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.
The development came just hours after authorities released the first surveillance images related to the disappearance of the mother of Today show co-host Savannah Guthrie, showing a masked person on the porch of her Arizona home the day she went missing more than a week ago.
Video released by the FBI shows the person wearing a backpack, long sleeves and pants, with what appeared to be a handgun holster, walking up to the door of Guthrie's home. The footage shows the person trying to cover a doorbell camera near the front door with a gloved hand before using plants to block the camera's view.
FBI director Kash Patel said the "armed individual" appeared to "have tampered with the camera." It was not entirely clear whether there was a gun in the holster.
Nancy Guthrie doorbell footage shows masked person at door
The videos were pulled from data on "back-end systems" after investigators spent days trying to find lost, corrupted or inaccessible images, Patel said.
Authorities believe Nancy Guthrie was taken against her will from her house just outside Tucson. She was last seen there Jan. 31 and reported missing the next day after not attending church.
Investigators had been hopeful that cameras at the home would turn up some evidence about how she went missing, but the doorbell camera was disconnected early on Sunday, Feb. 1.
And while software data recorded movement at the home minutes later, Nancy Guthrie didn't have an active subscription, so none of the footage could be recovered, Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos had said.
The video was the first major break in an investigation that has raised more questions than answers, including whether the 84-year-old is still alive. It comes as law enforcement and her family intensified calls for assistance from the public.
Up until now, authorities have released few details, leaving it unclear if ransom notes demanding money with deadlines that have already passed were authentic, and whether the Guthrie family has had any contact with the abductors.
Savannah Guthrie posted the new surveillance images on social media Tuesday with the caption, "We believe she is still alive. Bring her home," and phone numbers for the FBI and county sheriff. Within minutes, the post had thousands of comments.
Guthrie and her family have posted a series of videos over the past week, each striking a different tone. The latest message from Savannah Guthrie, in which she appeared alone, was more bleak. "We are at an hour of desperation," she said Monday, telling the public: "We need your help."
DNA tests showed blood on Nancy Guthrie's front porch was a match to her, the sheriff has said.
Savannah Guthrie makes new video plea to public: 'We need your help'
Authorities say Nancy Guthrie needs daily medication because she has high blood pressure and heart issues, including a pacemaker.
Police were back near Nancy Guthrie's neighbourhood on Tuesday, and local officers and FBI were knocking on doors a few kilometres away in the area where Nancy's daughter Annie Guthrie lives.
Three days after the search began, Savannah Guthrie and her two siblings sent their first public appeal to the kidnappers, telling them, "We want to hear from you and we are ready to listen." In the recorded video, Guthrie said her family was aware of media reports about a ransom letter, but they first wanted proof their mother was alive.
"Please reach out to us," they said.
Law enforcement officials declined to say whether the letters sent to several media outlets were credible but said all tips were being investigated seriously.
The next day, Savannah Guthrie's brother again told the kidnappers to reach out "so we can move forward."
Savannah Guthrie says family ready to pay potential kidnappers ransom for mom's return
"Whoever is out there holding our mother, we want to hear from you. We haven't heard anything directly," Camron Guthrie said.
Then, over the past weekend, the family posted another video — one that was more cryptic and generated even more speculation about Nancy Guthrie's fate. "We received your message, and we understand. We beg you now to return our mother to us so that we can celebrate with her," said Savannah Guthrie, flanked by her siblings.
"This is the only way we will have peace. This is very valuable to us, and we will pay."
Up to that point, the family's first three videos addressed the kidnappers directly. But just ahead of Monday's deadline spelled out in a purported note, Savannah Guthrie urged people countrywide to be on the lookout "no matter where you are, even if you're far from Tucson, if you see anything, if you hear anything."
Her turn to the public comes as much of the country is closely following the dramatic twists and turns involving the longtime anchor of NBC's morning show.
The FBI this week began posting digital billboards in major cities from Texas to California.
Connor Hagan, a spokesperson for the FBI, said Monday that the agency wasn't aware of ongoing communication between Guthrie's family and the suspected kidnappers.
Authorities also had not identified any suspects or persons of interest, he said.
"Someone has that one piece of information that can help us bring Nancy home."
In today's interconnected world, staying informed about global events is more important than ever. ZisNews provides news coverage from multiple countries, allowing you to compare how different regions report on the same stories. This unique approach helps you gain a broader and more balanced understanding of international affairs. Whether it's politics, business, technology, or cultural trends, ZisNews ensures that you get a well-rounded perspective rather than a one-sided view. Expand your knowledge and see how global narratives unfold from different angles.
At ZisNews, we understand that not every news story interests everyone. That's why we offer a customizable news feed, allowing you to control what you see. By adding keywords, you can filter out unwanted news, blocking articles that contain specific words in their titles or descriptions. This feature enables you to create a personalized experience where you only receive content that aligns with your interests. Register today to take full advantage of this functionality and enjoy a distraction-free news feed.
Stay engaged with the news by interacting with stories that matter to you. Like or dislike articles based on your opinion, and share your thoughts in the comments section. Join discussions, see what others are saying, and be a part of an informed community that values meaningful conversations.
For a seamless news experience, download the ZisNews Android app. Get instant notifications based on your selected categories and stay updated on breaking news. The app also allows you to block unwanted news, ensuring that you only receive content that aligns with your preferences. Stay connected anytime, anywhere.
With ZisNews, you can explore a wide range of topics, ensuring that you never miss important developments. From Technology and Science to Sports, Politics, and Entertainment, we bring you the latest updates from the world's most trusted sources. Whether you are interested in groundbreaking scientific discoveries, tech innovations, or major sports events, our platform keeps you updated in real-time. Our carefully curated news selection helps you stay ahead, providing accurate and relevant stories tailored to diverse interests.
No comments yet.