TWo weeks after the sublime margaret court pulled up exchange agencies for the detain in probing an alleged monumental bank fraud involving Reliance Communications and the group entities, former promoter Anil Ambani on Thursday filed an affidavit undertaking not to leave the country without the court’s prior permission and asserting that he was not involved in the day-to-day affairs of the companies under investigation.In his affidavit filed before a bench headed by Chief Justice of India Surya Kant, Ambani stated that his role in the concerned companies had been “that of a Non-Executive Director only” and that he was “not involved in the day-to-day management or operational affairs of the said companies.”The affidavit comes in the wake of the court’s February 4 order in which it expressed concern over the pace of investigation by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and the Enforcement Directorate (ED) into allegations of large-scale siphoning of public funds. At the time, the court had directed the Centre and agencies to take all preventive steps to ensure that Ambani does not leave the country, even as his counsel, senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, had given an assurance that he would not travel abroad without prior leave.Reiterating that assurance formally on oath, Ambani said he had not left India since July 2025, when the present investigations commenced, and had no intention of travelling abroad. “In the event any requirement of foreign travel arises, I shall seek prior leave and permission of this Hon’ble Court before undertaking any such travel,” he undertook.He submitted that he was summoned by the ED on February 26 and would appear and join the investigation on the said date. Stating that he has been “fully cooperating with the investigating agencies,” Ambani said he continues to extend complete cooperation and that there was no question of evading the process of law.“Any cooperation extended or material furnished is appropriately understood in the context of matters already under consideration, and is not subsequently viewed in isolation thereof,” added the affidavit, referring to the ongoing examination under Section 50 of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), 2002.He asserted that in view of his conduct and undertakings, it was evident that he was not a flight risk and had “no intention, whatsoever, to evade the process of law.” The affidavit, he said, was being filed “to ensure clarity, completeness, and procedural transparency in the judicial record.”On February 4, the Supreme Court had come down heavily on the CBI and ED over what it termed an “unexplained delay” in probing allegations of fraud running into tens of thousands of crores involving public sector banks and financial institutions. The court had emphasised that the scale and nature of the alleged offences warranted a far more rigorous and comprehensive probe, including multiple preliminary enquiries and regular cases rather than a single FIR.The bench had observed that procedural objections, such as the requirement of a sanction, could not be allowed to stall an investigation where there was material indicating siphoning of funds and possible collusion. It also directed the agencies to act “fairly, swiftly and without any fear or favour,” and to take all preventive measures to ensure that the investigation is not frustrated.The proceedings arise from a public interest litigation filed by retired bureaucrat EAS Sarma, and argued through advocates Prashant Bhushan and Pranav Sachdeva, seeking a court-monitored probe into alleged fraud involving various Reliance Group entities.In an affidavit earlier before the court, the ED had disclosed large-scale defaults by multiple entities. It stated that Reliance Home Finance Ltd allegedly defaulted on loans worth ₹7,523.46 crore from 33 lenders, while Reliance Commercial Finance Ltd defaulted on loans of ₹8,226.05 crore from 21 lenders. In the case of Reliance Communications (RCOM) and its group companies, outstanding dues of over ₹40,000 crore were cited as forming part of the alleged proceeds of crime.The ED has registered three Enforcement Case Information Reports (ECIRs) so far in connection with the matter and has made arrests. The CBI has been directed to examine institutional complicity and take the investigation to its logical conclusion.The Supreme Court has made it clear that it will continue to closely monitor the probe. The matter is expected to be listed again on March 10 after the agencies file detailed status reports, with the court reiterating that nothing should be allowed to hamper the investigation.
Global News Perspectives
In today's interconnected world, staying informed about global events is more important than ever. ZisNews provides news coverage from multiple countries, allowing you to compare how different regions report on the same stories. This unique approach helps you gain a broader and more balanced understanding of international affairs. Whether it's politics, business, technology, or cultural trends, ZisNews ensures that you get a well-rounded perspective rather than a one-sided view. Expand your knowledge and see how global narratives unfold from different angles.
Customizable News Feed
At ZisNews, we understand that not every news story interests everyone. That's why we offer a customizable news feed, allowing you to control what you see. By adding keywords, you can filter out unwanted news, blocking articles that contain specific words in their titles or descriptions. This feature enables you to create a personalized experience where you only receive content that aligns with your interests. Register today to take full advantage of this functionality and enjoy a distraction-free news feed.
Like or Comment on News
Stay engaged with the news by interacting with stories that matter to you. Like or dislike articles based on your opinion, and share your thoughts in the comments section. Join discussions, see what others are saying, and be a part of an informed community that values meaningful conversations.
Download the Android App
For a seamless news experience, download the ZisNews Android app. Get instant notifications based on your selected categories and stay updated on breaking news. The app also allows you to block unwanted news, ensuring that you only receive content that aligns with your preferences. Stay connected anytime, anywhere.
Diverse News Categories
With ZisNews, you can explore a wide range of topics, ensuring that you never miss important developments. From Technology and Science to Sports, Politics, and Entertainment, we bring you the latest updates from the world's most trusted sources. Whether you are interested in groundbreaking scientific discoveries, tech innovations, or major sports events, our platform keeps you updated in real-time. Our carefully curated news selection helps you stay ahead, providing accurate and relevant stories tailored to diverse interests.
No comments yet.