Read your favorite news, except the excluded topics, by you.
Register
No overlapping ads for registered users
An RCMP-led depravity investigating is underway and look warrants were executed on a list of properties including the homes of former city manager Jyoti Gondek, former councillor Sean Chu and sitting councillor Andre Chabot.
According to those sources, several search warrants and production orders were executed last week including one on a local business.
In the course of those warrants, former mayor Jyoti Gondek's home was searched and her cell phone was seized.
"At the same time this has been very invasive and my lawyer and I will be reviewing it closely to ensure [the search] was justified."
Ward 10 Coun. Andre Chabot’s home was also subject to a search and cellphone seizure as was the home of former Ward 4 Coun. Sean Chu.
"My client has been co-operative throughout and respects the legal process," said Chu's lawyer Shamsher Kothari in a written statement.
"No charges have been laid and I look forward to a swift conclusion of this investigation."
The sources say the investigation relates to allegations of corruption involving a business.
No charges have been laid.
Speaking to reporters outside council chambers on Tuesday, Chabot confirmed his phone was seized last Thursday by the RCMP, but said he has no idea what the investigation is about.
“I was asked to provide my devices for them to look at to gather evidence,” he said. “That’s about as much as I know ... I’m hoping that somehow it will result in something that they can utilize.
“I was completely surprised. I had no idea why they had to do a warrant. I was more than happy to have given them my phones if they'd have just asked.”
Chabot said he was not questioned at all, and he does not believe he is under investigation.
“I’m fully complying, I have nothing to hide,” he said.
Chabot also said he was not contacted by the RCMP prior to them executing a search warrant.
Mayor Jeromy Farkas said he has not been contacted by police. He declined to provide further comment.
Defence lawyer Alain Hepner confirmed that he has been retained to act for Chabot.
“He has nothing to hide and is fully co-operating with the authorities,” said Hepner in a brief statement.
Coun. Andre Chabot asked about RCMP investigation
Calgary Police Service spokesperson Emma Poole confirmed that CPS received a related complaint in October 2025 but handed the investigation over to RCMP.
“To protect the integrity and confidentiality of the ongoing investigative process, no further details will be released at this time,” said Poole in a brief written statement.
RCMP spokesperson Fraser Logan said the investigation is being handled by its Federal Policing Northwest Region unit, which handles cases involving politicians.
A media spokesperson for RCMP Federal Policing Northwest Region confirmed its "ongoing investigation relating to a referral we received from Calgary Police Services in October 2025."
"To protect the integrity of this ongoing investigation, we have no further comment at this time."
In today's interconnected world, staying informed about global events is more important than ever. ZisNews provides news coverage from multiple countries, allowing you to compare how different regions report on the same stories. This unique approach helps you gain a broader and more balanced understanding of international affairs. Whether it's politics, business, technology, or cultural trends, ZisNews ensures that you get a well-rounded perspective rather than a one-sided view. Expand your knowledge and see how global narratives unfold from different angles.
At ZisNews, we understand that not every news story interests everyone. That's why we offer a customizable news feed, allowing you to control what you see. By adding keywords, you can filter out unwanted news, blocking articles that contain specific words in their titles or descriptions. This feature enables you to create a personalized experience where you only receive content that aligns with your interests. Register today to take full advantage of this functionality and enjoy a distraction-free news feed.
Stay engaged with the news by interacting with stories that matter to you. Like or dislike articles based on your opinion, and share your thoughts in the comments section. Join discussions, see what others are saying, and be a part of an informed community that values meaningful conversations.
For a seamless news experience, download the ZisNews Android app. Get instant notifications based on your selected categories and stay updated on breaking news. The app also allows you to block unwanted news, ensuring that you only receive content that aligns with your preferences. Stay connected anytime, anywhere.
With ZisNews, you can explore a wide range of topics, ensuring that you never miss important developments. From Technology and Science to Sports, Politics, and Entertainment, we bring you the latest updates from the world's most trusted sources. Whether you are interested in groundbreaking scientific discoveries, tech innovations, or major sports events, our platform keeps you updated in real-time. Our carefully curated news selection helps you stay ahead, providing accurate and relevant stories tailored to diverse interests.
No comments yet.