Welcome to ZisNews!

Read your favorite news, except the excluded topics, by you. Register
No overlapping ads for registered users

Ont. lawyer alleges Durham Region police violently assaulted her, dragged her to courthouse cells

Posted on: Jan 28, 2026 01:47 IST | Posted by: Cbc
Ont. lawyer alleges Durham Region police violently assaulted her, dragged her to courthouse cells

 A attorney says she was left wing all-firedly and swollen after multiple shorthorn Regional law officers allegedly slammed her head on a desk without provocation, ripped off her head scarf and dragged her to the basement cells of the Oshawa courthouse last week.

According to a statement issued by her lawyer, Neha Chugh, defence lawyer Sudine Riley finished a trial late on Friday and was catching up on legal work in an interview room when uniformed officers “challenged her presence” in that room.

In her statement, Chugh said police, who were working as security, slammed Riley's head on the desk and put their knees on her back and neck, and spoke to her with “rage, disrespect, and contempt.”

She said officers then forcibly “dragged” Riley from the room in handcuffs and took her to the basement cells of the courthouse.

“Her head scarf was ripped off, her skirt was raised when she was handled by officers, and her head was bleeding and her eye swollen from being slammed into the desk,” Chugh's statement reads.

“She committed no offence other than being a Black woman practising law, being diligent about her commitment to the pursuit of justice.”

Chugh's statement does not indicate how many officers were involved in the incident.

“The allegations arising from this matter are being taken with the utmost seriousness,” reads Dowdle's reply email.

“DRPS has assigned the appropriate investigative and oversight resources to fully understand the circumstances and determine what further actions may be required.”

Dowdle stated no further information is available at this time with an investigation ongoing. 

While these allegations have not been tested in court, safety concerns have been raised by lawyers who work at the Oshawa courthouse. 

Women in Canadian Criminal Defence (WICCD), an advocacy organization of 800 lawyers from across the country, wrote a letter on Sunday to Ontario Court Justice Lara Crawford, the administrative judge at the courthouse, calling for assurance that necessary safety measures had taken place, prior to their members returning to the courthouse this week. 

Cassandra DeMelo, a practicing defence lawyer in London, Ont., and president of WICCD, called the situation “bizzare,” and said she took the "extraordinary step" to write a letter to the justice because her group felt it was urgent. 

DeMelo said her request for increased safety measures has been passed off to legal counsel for the Ontario Court of Justice (OCJ) and the Superior Court of Justice (SCJ). 

She said the courts are taking the situation seriously, but that WICCD’s request for answers have so far “gone unanswered.”

While an investigation is still ongoing, DeMelo said the incident prompts concerns around lawyers needing to stay late, and what situations they may encounter with security. 

Oshawa’s courthouse is open from 8:30 a.m. To 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. 

However, DeMelo said, it’s not uncommon for lawyers to stay behind after courthouses close to wrap up work, with it sometimes even being requested by court justices. 

She questions whether lawyers will feel comfortable to do that in Oshawa’s courthouse going forward.

The safety and security of everyone who works in or attends any courthouse in Ontario is of paramount importance to the Court,” reads a statement from Jason Gennaro, spokesperson for the OCJ. 

“Given this matter is under an active police investigation, we are unable to provide details,” said Brent Ross, spokesperson for the ministry, in a short statement. 

But advocates have suggested it would be inappropriate for DRPS to continue investigating the incident.

Theresa Donkor, a defence lawyer and the director of advocacy for the Canadian Association of Black Lawyers (CABL), said she was “extremely concerned” that there’s been no indication an independent investigation will take place. 

Donkor said an independent body could help ease concerns of unfairness and bias in an investigation. "Incidents like these call for full transparency,” she said. 

Through her lawyer’s statement, Sudine Riley said she would be taking time to heal before figuring out her next steps. 

Donkor said CABL stands behind Riley and hopes the situation is handled carefully. 

“I understand that these are only allegations at this stage, but once a full investigation is conducted and if the allegations do bear out, there needs to be accountability,” Donkor said.

Reporter

Add some “good” to your morning and evening.

Subscribe to the Toronto News Digest for local news from across the GTA, in your inbox every weekday evening.

Global News Perspectives

In today's interconnected world, staying informed about global events is more important than ever. ZisNews provides news coverage from multiple countries, allowing you to compare how different regions report on the same stories. This unique approach helps you gain a broader and more balanced understanding of international affairs. Whether it's politics, business, technology, or cultural trends, ZisNews ensures that you get a well-rounded perspective rather than a one-sided view. Expand your knowledge and see how global narratives unfold from different angles.

Customizable News Feed

At ZisNews, we understand that not every news story interests everyone. That's why we offer a customizable news feed, allowing you to control what you see. By adding keywords, you can filter out unwanted news, blocking articles that contain specific words in their titles or descriptions. This feature enables you to create a personalized experience where you only receive content that aligns with your interests. Register today to take full advantage of this functionality and enjoy a distraction-free news feed.

Like or Comment on News

Stay engaged with the news by interacting with stories that matter to you. Like or dislike articles based on your opinion, and share your thoughts in the comments section. Join discussions, see what others are saying, and be a part of an informed community that values meaningful conversations.

Download the Android App

For a seamless news experience, download the ZisNews Android app. Get instant notifications based on your selected categories and stay updated on breaking news. The app also allows you to block unwanted news, ensuring that you only receive content that aligns with your preferences. Stay connected anytime, anywhere.

Diverse News Categories

With ZisNews, you can explore a wide range of topics, ensuring that you never miss important developments. From Technology and Science to Sports, Politics, and Entertainment, we bring you the latest updates from the world's most trusted sources. Whether you are interested in groundbreaking scientific discoveries, tech innovations, or major sports events, our platform keeps you updated in real-time. Our carefully curated news selection helps you stay ahead, providing accurate and relevant stories tailored to diverse interests.

Login to Like (0) Login to Dislike (0)

Login to comment.

No comments yet.