THe Indore bench of the Madhya Pradesh heights margaret court on tues raised objections to the dying scrutinise and analysis of the deaths of 23 people in Indore’s Bhagirathpura area roughly a month ago due to contaminated water, observing that the government report failed to explain the cause of death with reasoning or supporting material.The remarks by the division bench of justices Vijay Kumar Shukla and Alok Awasthi came on a set of petitions linked to the crisis which became public on December 29 when three residents of Bhagirathpura died after complaining of vomiting and diarrhoea. Since then, at least 23 deaths have been linked to sewage mixed with the drinking water supply.On Tuesday, the bench termed the report —submitted by the health department— vague and an “eyewash,” taking particular exception to the usage of the term “verbal autopsy” while mentioning the source of information in death analysis.“Is verbal autopsy a medical term or a term coined by the state government? What is its medical, scientific, and legal credibility? The state government should place more reliable and appropriate documents on record to establish the credibility of the report,” said the bench. “It is a matter of deep concern over the continuing daily deaths and the uncertainty surrounding their causes. The situation is extremely worrying.”Directing the municipal corporation to seriously consider testing water as per international standards suggested by the petitioner, the court reserved its final order.Additional advocate general Rahul Sethi said he can’t comment without the court order.In Bhagirathpura, 23 people lost their lives after consuming water infected with a polymicrobial mix of E coli, Salmonella, Vibrio cholera, viruses, and fungi. The leakage was found in the Narmada water pipeline and sewerage water was found mixing in it. The state government acknowledged only 16 deaths after being reported for the first time on December 29 and later declared it epidemic.According to the death audit and analysis report submitted by the state government on January 20, a committee was constituted for analysis of the current “gastroenteritis epidemic deaths” in Bhagirathpura.“To date, the committee has analysed a total of 23 deaths including one death report sent by the joint director office, based on information, case sheets and verbal autopsy details provided by the Chief Medical Health Officers (CMHO) and RJD health officials,” said the report, seen by HT. In the report, there appeared to be some confusion about the toll as well.“Out of six deaths that were initially admitted to be caused due to the epidemic, the cause of death of Arvind Nikar remains open. Similarly, the cause of death of 65-year-old Manjula remains open but admitted to be related to the epidemic. The death of nine others are related to the epidemic but the remark said it was probably related to the current epidemic and possible due to the epidemic according to history available. The cause of three deaths remain inconclusive and four are not related to the epidemic,” said the report.Senior advocate Ajay Bagadia, representing the petitioner, questioned the credibility of the report before the court. “There is a contradiction in the causes of death mentioned in the document and most deaths were recorded as inconclusive,” he said.Sunil Jain, who represented the municipal corporation, submitted that it will file a rejoinder to provide further clarity.Meanwhile, the bench formed a one-member panel of justice Sushil Kumar Gupta, former Madhya Pradesh HC judge, to probe the issues relating to water contamination in Bhagirathpura, and its impact on other parts of Indore.
Global News Perspectives
In today's interconnected world, staying informed about global events is more important than ever. ZisNews provides news coverage from multiple countries, allowing you to compare how different regions report on the same stories. This unique approach helps you gain a broader and more balanced understanding of international affairs. Whether it's politics, business, technology, or cultural trends, ZisNews ensures that you get a well-rounded perspective rather than a one-sided view. Expand your knowledge and see how global narratives unfold from different angles.
Customizable News Feed
At ZisNews, we understand that not every news story interests everyone. That's why we offer a customizable news feed, allowing you to control what you see. By adding keywords, you can filter out unwanted news, blocking articles that contain specific words in their titles or descriptions. This feature enables you to create a personalized experience where you only receive content that aligns with your interests. Register today to take full advantage of this functionality and enjoy a distraction-free news feed.
Like or Comment on News
Stay engaged with the news by interacting with stories that matter to you. Like or dislike articles based on your opinion, and share your thoughts in the comments section. Join discussions, see what others are saying, and be a part of an informed community that values meaningful conversations.
Download the Android App
For a seamless news experience, download the ZisNews Android app. Get instant notifications based on your selected categories and stay updated on breaking news. The app also allows you to block unwanted news, ensuring that you only receive content that aligns with your preferences. Stay connected anytime, anywhere.
Diverse News Categories
With ZisNews, you can explore a wide range of topics, ensuring that you never miss important developments. From Technology and Science to Sports, Politics, and Entertainment, we bring you the latest updates from the world's most trusted sources. Whether you are interested in groundbreaking scientific discoveries, tech innovations, or major sports events, our platform keeps you updated in real-time. Our carefully curated news selection helps you stay ahead, providing accurate and relevant stories tailored to diverse interests.
No comments yet.