Welcome to ZisNews!

Read your favorite news, except the excluded topics, by you. Register
No overlapping ads for registered users

Destruction by Sudan's rebels in El Fasher bears 'hallmarks of genocide': UN experts

Posted on: Feb 20, 2026 00:44 IST | Posted by: Cbc
Destruction by Sudan's rebels in El Fasher bears 'hallmarks of genocide': UN experts

A " run of demolition" in oct by Sudanese paramilitary unit forces against non-Arab communities in and close a city in the western region of Darfur shows "hallmarks of genocide," UN-backed human rights experts said Thursday, a dramatic finding in the country's devastating war.

The paramilitary Rapid Support Forces — known as RSF and at war with the Sudanese military — carried out mass killings and other atrocities in the city of El Fasher after an 18-month siege during which they imposed conditions "calculated to bring about the physical destruction" of non-Arab communities, in particular the Zaghawa and the Fur communities, the independent fact-finding mission on Sudan reported.

UN officials say several thousand civilians were killed in the RSF takeover of El Fasher, the Sudanese army's only remaining stronghold in the Darfur. Only 40 per cent of the city's 260,000 residents managed to flee the onslaught alive, thousands of whom were wounded, the officials said. The fate of the rest remains unknown.

Sudan plunged into conflict in mid-April 2023, when long-simmering tensions between its military and paramilitary leaders broke out in the capital of Khartoum and spread to other regions, including Darfur. So far, the war has killed more than 40,000 people, according to UN figures, but aid groups say that's an undercount and the true number could be many times higher.

The RSF overran El Fasher last October and rampaged through the city in an offensive marked by widespread atrocities that included mass killings, sexual violence, torture and abductions for ransom, according to the UN Human Rights Office.

What the fall of Sudan's El Fasher means for the war

They killed more than 6,000 people between Oct. 25 and Oct. 27, the office said. Ahead of the attack, the paramilitary forces ran riot in the Abu Shouk displacement camp, just outside El Fasher, and killed at least 300 people in two days, it said.

The RSF did not respond to an e-mailed request for comment. The group's commander, Gen. Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo, has previously acknowledged abuses by his fighters, but disputed the scale of atrocities.

The report cited a systematic pattern of ethnically targeted killings, sexual violence and destruction and public statements explicitly calling for the elimination of non-Arab communities.

An international convention known colloquially as the "Genocide Convention" — adopted in 1948, three years after the end of World War II and the Holocaust — sets out five criteria to assess whether genocide has taken place. They include killing or seriously harming members of a group, preventing births or forcibly transferring children from the group, and inflicting measures to bring about the "physical destruction" of the group.

The fact-finding team said it found at least three of those five were met in the actions of the RSF: Killing members of a protected ethnic group; causing serious bodily and mental harm; and deliberately inflicting conditions of life calculated to bring about the group's physical destruction in whole or in part.

Under the convention, a genocide determination could be made even if only one of the five were met. The UN says a determination of genocide must be made by an international tribunal.

The head of the fact-finding team, Mohamed Chande Othman, a former chief justice of Tanzania, said the RSF operation were not "random excesses of war" but a planned and organized operation that bore the characteristics of genocide.

El Fasher's residents were "physically exhausted, malnourished, and in part unable to flee, leaving them defenseless against the extreme violence that followed," the team's report said. "Thousands of persons, particularly the Zaghawa, were killed, raped or disappeared during three days of absolute horror."

The report documented cases of survivors quoting RSF fighters as saying things like, "Is there anyone Zaghawa among you? If we find Zaghawa, we will kill them all" and "We want to eliminate anything black from Darfur."

It also pointed to "selective targeting" of Zaghawa and Fur women and girls, "while women perceived as Arab were often spared."

Mona Rishmawi, a member of the fact-finding team, told a news conference in Geneva on Thursday that the team's conclusion was based on evidence of mass killings, patterns of ethnic targeting and statements by perpetrators expressing intent to eliminate and destroy the targeted communities.

"When you basically prevent the population from food ... Drinking water and medical attention and prevent them from humanitarian assistance," she said. "What do you want? You want to destroy them. You want to kill them."

"We reached the point of genocide now," Rishmawi told reporters, adding that her team expects the parties in Sudan's war to get the message that "enough is enough."

At a meeting of the UN Security Council on Sudan later Thursday, UN political chief Rosemary DiCarlo said that the "horrific events" in El Fasher "were preventable."

While El Fasher was under siege, she said UN human rights chief Volker Türk repeatedly warned of the risk of mass atrocities, "but the warnings were not heeded."

Türk has now also alerted the global community to the possibility of similar crimes in Sudan's Kordofan region, where the military and the RSF are fighting, DiCarlo said, urging action now to prevent a repeat of atrocities.

British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper called the report's findings "truly horrific" and took them to the Security Council, saying she wanted to "ensure that the voices of women of Sudan who have endured so much are heard by the world."

"Today's report describes the most unimaginable and chilling horrors," she said, citing the case of a woman asked by an RSF soldier how far she was in her pregnancy. "When she responded seven months, he fired seven bullets into her abdomen killing her," Cooper told the council.

"This is the worst humanitarian crisis of the 21st Century, a war that has left 33 million people in need of humanitarian assistance, 14 million people forced to flee their homes, famine stalking millions of malnourished children," Cooper said.

"The world is still failing the people of Sudan."

The fact-finding team was created in 2023 by the Geneva-based Human Rights Council, the UN's leading human rights body, which has 47 member nations.

The team called for accountability for perpetrators and warned that protection of civilians is needed "more than ever" because the conflict is expanding to other regions in Sudan.

Over the course of the conflict, the warring parties were accused of violating international law. But most of the atrocities were blamed on the RSF: The Biden administration, in one of its last decisions, said the paramilitary force committed genocide in Darfur.

Sudan aid groups struggle to care for thousands who fled El Fasher

UN experts and rights groups say the RSF has had the backing of the United Arab Emirates over the course of the war, allegations that the U.A.E. Has denied.

The RSF grew out of the Janjaweed militias, notorious for atrocities they committed in the early 2000s in a ruthless campaign in Darfur that killed some 300,000 people and drove 2.7 million from their homes. Sudan's former autocratic ruler Omar al-Bashir is still sought by the International Criminal Court for genocide and other crimes committed at that time.

Global News Perspectives

In today's interconnected world, staying informed about global events is more important than ever. ZisNews provides news coverage from multiple countries, allowing you to compare how different regions report on the same stories. This unique approach helps you gain a broader and more balanced understanding of international affairs. Whether it's politics, business, technology, or cultural trends, ZisNews ensures that you get a well-rounded perspective rather than a one-sided view. Expand your knowledge and see how global narratives unfold from different angles.

Customizable News Feed

At ZisNews, we understand that not every news story interests everyone. That's why we offer a customizable news feed, allowing you to control what you see. By adding keywords, you can filter out unwanted news, blocking articles that contain specific words in their titles or descriptions. This feature enables you to create a personalized experience where you only receive content that aligns with your interests. Register today to take full advantage of this functionality and enjoy a distraction-free news feed.

Like or Comment on News

Stay engaged with the news by interacting with stories that matter to you. Like or dislike articles based on your opinion, and share your thoughts in the comments section. Join discussions, see what others are saying, and be a part of an informed community that values meaningful conversations.

Download the Android App

For a seamless news experience, download the ZisNews Android app. Get instant notifications based on your selected categories and stay updated on breaking news. The app also allows you to block unwanted news, ensuring that you only receive content that aligns with your preferences. Stay connected anytime, anywhere.

Diverse News Categories

With ZisNews, you can explore a wide range of topics, ensuring that you never miss important developments. From Technology and Science to Sports, Politics, and Entertainment, we bring you the latest updates from the world's most trusted sources. Whether you are interested in groundbreaking scientific discoveries, tech innovations, or major sports events, our platform keeps you updated in real-time. Our carefully curated news selection helps you stay ahead, providing accurate and relevant stories tailored to diverse interests.

Login to Like (0) Login to Dislike (0)

Login to comment.

No comments yet.